Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dark Odyssey Winter Fire

Last weekend The Dark Odyssey Winter Fire event was held in Washington DC. Boy. I am having trouble articulating just how wonderful this event was. Dark Odyssey is such a great event because it brings people from many different segments of our community together into one deep, dark, delicious stew. Queer, Pan, Gay, Bi, Straight, Genderfuck, Mindfuck, Swinger, Kinkster, Sadists, Masochists, Switches, Tops, Bottoms, Slaves, Masters, Mistresses and just about any other kind of subgroup was represented. There were orgies and gangbangs, latex and leather, beatings, whippings, floggings, canings, people getting set on fire and poked with sharp things, kinky costumes, all kinds of nudity, hugs and kisses, lots of fucking, cries and moans, and laughter and tears. Oh, and don't forget bondage. Lots of bondage.

A huge dungeon with tons of equipment was available. Could have stayed open a little later for my taste, but I'm greedy. Lots of wonderful classes were taught. I particularly enjoyed the class on "How to be a Better Top" by Marc B. Marc shared lots of little evil top tricks. I also really enjoyed Dossie Easton and Barbara Carellas' "The Tao of Pain." Go figure. I'm a switch, after all.

A good time was had by all...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may be in the minority, but I don't recommend going to DO. I have attended three major DO events, (Fusion, WF, summer camp), as a single man and as part of a couple (with a woman). I have VERY MIXED feelings about DO, the organization. First, I saw multiple instances of single men being very pushy and doing things to other people (99% of the time women) without consent. This was everywhere – in the dungeon, in the hotel rooms, outside in the outdoor campground, etc. I could get the impression that consent was not established beforehand because I could see the (not pleasant) surprise of someone new joining an ongoing scene in the face of not just the person who was the subject of the scene, but also the other people who were around the subject person. Most of these men were never reprimanded on the spot. It’s complete hypocrisy for DO to say ( as they do on their website) that non-consent will not be tolerated. The dungeon monitors (or scene monitors) were often simply other attendees and were just standing around talking to other people or even on their cell phones texting. There is a requirement to do several hours of “volunteer” work at each event for all attendees. I suspect to meet this requirement, some people just sign up to be monitors but they don’t really do the job of monitoring. Frankly, I wonder if in some of these situations, the actions by certain people (who are left unpunished) can be considered sexual assault, and therefore DO may be indirectly breaking a law by providing the environment for this sexual assault to occur. I have heard of people who have been "banned" from all DO events, while other individuals (apparently either friends of the DO organizers, or "famous" presenters or well known people in the kink world) have done exactly the same thing or worse, without a word being said to them. Second, I found in many cases the people there were very cliquish. They had already formed their own very close knit groups in which they played together, and in my experience (and “our” experience as a couple), they rarely allowed new outsiders to join their group. I suspect these people play together all the time, and have understandably developed a very close relationship and level of trust with each other. In our experience, we found it to be difficult to meaningfully play with anyone. I noticed the EASIEST persons who played with new people were inevitably the few single women (with all due respect, not all of whom were my “cup of tea” in the looks department). They were nearly constantly being approached by men, single or not. Not being a single woman myself, I felt very much like an outsider on numerous occasions. During my last experience which was Fusion, I went with a girlfriend (early 30s, athletic, blond, reasonably good looking) who is experienced in the alternative lifestyle, and we actually did not feel comfortable joining in with most of the people because of their difficult to approach attitudes and when they were “approachable”, it was usually a single man interested in my girlfriend. So we played by ourselves, and occasionally watched a scene, but that was it. The food in the cafeteria was not that great in my opinion, and we paid a lot for the meal plan. So overall based on my experiences, I would NOT recommend the DO events. We have decided that we are not going again – there are many other events where I don’t need to spend $300-500 and still meet nicer people at a better run, safer event.